oceatoon wrote:

I am not at all from the GIS , and project Geoid seems to be just that, If
I'm not mistaken it allows to plug into existing ArcIMS and others with
Cocoon. I'm really looking to find a Map system I can integrate directly
into my(and others) project. I really think a simple Mapping system has
it's place within many websites especially connected with a data generation
system like cocoon which seems to be the main idea behind GEOID, I will
need to have an appropriate Graphic Map to associate to my connector, is
there such a module?

Well, let me clarify that geographic data are inherently big, you would most probably need a map-server to produce them for client consumption.

Think of DBMSs: you need one but for the most trivial tabular data... for geographic data it's the same: you need a map-server (MapServer, GeoServer, ArcIMS, etc.) but for the most trivial geographic data.

If nothing really exist I will be glad to start a vulgarised Map solution
within Geoid. MapBuilder is quite a good solution, but 100% JS which I like but people
don't allways have.
do you know any other ones by any chance ?

IIUC, you're thinking of a map client, aren't you ?

At the moment I'm working on a generalized map client based on Cocoon, with three levels of functionality: 1) Base (most accessible, even for impaired people): server-side image maps with no JavaScript and no frames on the client.
2) Intermediate: server-side images with client-side JavaScript and frames.
3) Advanced: SVG.

I've started by building some JavaScript classes (they can be used both on the client or on the server) and some CForms widgets... don't know wether my effort will go into Geoid though.

BTW, MapBuilder works great, but you need WMS servers to make it work, don't forget it.

If what you have to do is just position points, use DIVs live happy
after that :)

well yes that could a solution but quite limited.
It would be good to go on adding functionalities once the mapping system is
done, and div solutions will probably be blocking after that.

Most web-based GIS apps don't need SVG: just some background data and clickable points (when clicked some data are shown) will do for most applications.

Sure, SVG adds local pan/zoom and a lot of nice graphic effects, but carefully consider the potential problems with plugins before going for it.

Don't get me wrong, I like SVG, but forcing user to install a plug-in
would be an unpopular option.

The idea would be to have clickable jpegs generated from svg and later when
fully supported directly svg. Do you think GML is something to look into or
is it a huge load and not necessary ? could it make my development easier ?

Wait, there are map-servers that already generate SVG for you (i.e. MapViewer for Oracle) and established standard (SLD) for styling GML... don't re-invent the wheel ;)

BTW, the SVG to JPEG rendering is pretty slow.

Regards,

P.S.
Would you please start a thread on the Geoid list ? I think that would be the best place for talking about such issues.

   Luca Morandini
www.lucamorandini.it