Jorg Heymans wrote:
> Torsten Curdt wrote:
>
> > On the other hand providing svn commit access
> > also means handing out an @apache.org address
> > (required for technical reasons) and (to some extend)
> > access to the apache infrastructure. Not everyone is
> > really excited about that. Less for security reasons,
> > but more how it could be perceived by the community.
> >
> > Some of us fear that giving away an @apache.org
> > account (although it is restricted) might produce
> > feelings of disappointment in people who already
> > contributed to the community and who are on the
> > committer radar already.
>
> I don't see how this should affect people "on the committer radar". If
> you're on the "committer radar" you'll perfectly understand what GSOC is
> and does and what the goals of the project are and how it really can
> benefit cocoon.

Thanks for responding. I am very pleased that you see
it that way. Even for people who are not on that radar,
we need to ensure that they know that the process is still
the same, i.e. based on merit.

The discussion about what the Cocoon PMC look for
(every ASF project has similarities, but different)
when inviting new committers is something for another thread.
It would be good to make sure that the community knows that,
and also why there are often long delays between inviting
new committers.

-David