Hi,

On Tue, Sep 13, 2005 at 11:40:00AM -0400, Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
> Pier Fumagalli wrote:
> > On 13 Sep 2005, at 15:25, Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
> >
> >> It's really frustrating when you can't change bug status or do some
> >> other tasks. That's what I meant; I presume that's part of
> >> 'customized workflows' feature.
> Examples
>    http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCR-169
>    http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCR-188
>
> No 'Close', no 'Reopen', only 'Clone' and some such. And it's not limited to
> JCR. And I'm currently logged in - not an anonymous browsing.
>
> IMNSHO, it's a deal breaker if our own users can't mess with our own bug
> database. (*)

It's a permission set in the JCR project (only developers can
resolve/close). IMHO it's disempowering, kills the do-ocracy spirit and
generally sucks. Probably this was not a deliberate choice of the
project. Someone just copied the permissions when setting up JCR. I'll
start a discussion on infra@ about standardizing on a suitably open
permission scheme.

To address some points made (disclaimer: I work for Atlassian):

1) Speed & search useability

Clicking through JIRA does feel slow compared to Bugzilla, but JIRA has a
search mini-language that means you rarely have to. In JIRA you can type
'VELOCITY open NullPointerException' in the quick search bar on every
page, and you'll get back a list of open Velocity bugs mentioning
NullPointerException in the summary/body. Adding 'v:1.5' limits the
Affects version, adding 'ff:1.6' limits the fix-for version. 'my' limits
to issues assigned to you. 'c:' limits to component.

This can be made even faster. In Firefox, try bookmarking the following
URL, and give it the keyword 'asf':

http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/QuickSearch.jspa?searchString=%s

Now you can type 'asf VELOCITY open' in the browser, and go directly to
the search results. You can also jump to an individual bug with 'asf
VELOCITY-374'. With this, you rarely need to use the web search UI or
visit the front page.

2) Subversion integration.

Examples at:

http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVEMIND-103?page=all
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JAMES-253?page=all
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-528?page=all

The actual links are broken at the moment - see
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-354

(and while you're there, notice the trackback link automatically
established from the Atlassian JIRA:)

3) Decent email support

Given that what most people see from the bug tracker is the emails, I
think this is worth particular attention.

 - In JIRA, email notifications 'thread' in mail clients, so
  comments/updates on an issue can be grouped with the original issue
   creation notification.  When reading a comment you can quickly see the
   previous comment, or the original issue in the thread.

 - The 'From' header includes the name of the changer (not just
   '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'). This lets you search/sort for bugs by
   reporter/commenter in your mail client.

 - IMHO the email format is a bit more readable - no 'DO NOT REPLY'
   everywhere.

 - Once infra@ people get to it, it WILL be possible to reply to email,
   and have the reply added as a comment (see
   http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-412).

4) Linking with other OSS projects

JIRA will increase intertwinglyness with related projects, but allowing
internal links to other projects in the ASF JIRA (Lenya, Forrest, Xalan,
Avalon) and trackback links to external JIRA installations (Daisy,
Hibernate, Codehaus projects).

As for downsides:

5) Stability

The ASF JIRA installation does run out of memory occasionally, and about
once every 2 weeks recently. I suspect it's a leak in the SVN parsing,
which the ASF JIRA does an awful lot of. We're working on addressing this
(see infrastructure@ traffic for details).

6) Limited search options

The Bugzilla search form is complicated because you can do lots of cool
stuff in it. JIRA's search capabilities are primitive by comparison.
There's no regexp support, and you can't do arbitrary AND/OR/NOT queries.
This will be addressed eventually - see
http://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-1560

7) Not OSS

JIRA is written by ruthless hippie-bashing capitalists.

                            -o0o-

Anyway, I suggest importing the Bugzilla issues into Cocoon to let people
play (I think Pier's an admin).  The importer can be re-run occasionally,
and the permission scheme configured to let only developers create issues
(for testing).  To be honest though, there is no one knock-down
improvement (unless SVN integration counts) - just lots of little ones
that become apparent over time.

--Jeff