Sylvain Wallez wrote:

Niclas Hedhman wrote:

On Tuesday 27 September 2005 22:14, Sylvain Wallez wrote:

I don't know however what happens if we commit changes to a svn:external
with a sticky tag. Does it create a branch? If yes, then that may be a
problem.

Neither "sticky tags" nor "branches" exists in Subversion.

I think you guys are using the wrong tool for what you are trying to achieve.

Ok. So do you have something better, or another way to organize the svn repository that would avoid to maintain parallel branches [1] of blocks.

Sylvain

[1] http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/ch04s02.html

For a, IMO, better way to organize the repository see:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=112772867005578&w=2
and a discussion at felix-dev:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-oscar-dev/200508.mbox/[EMAIL
PROTECTED]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-oscar-dev/200508.mbox/[EMAIL
PROTECTED]

In such a scenario we don't use externals (except for linking to projects outside Cocoon). All blcoks have separate binary releases and dependencies on released blocks are handled through M2 POMs.

For 2.1.x (that we hopefully will kill soon), we could do something like: Create a tag for the release, and replace all external references to parts of trunk to externals pointing to the current revision of the directories. This could maybe be scripted. It is not particulary pretty, but I don't see any better solutions. And it will motivate us to go towards separate relases of the different blocks ;)

/Daniel