Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

Ugo Cei wrote:

Il giorno 03/ott/05, alle 10:38, Arje Cahn ha scritto:

Stefano was talking about JotSpot in his RT; did anyone try this?
JotSpot Live [1] seems to be the SubEthaEdit-for-those-without-a-Mac
(indeed, I'm talking purely for myself ;-) ).

Another product in this area is Writeboard <http://www.writeboard.com>.
JotSpot is sold as a "real-time" collaborative environment, while
Writeboard is not. OTOH, Writeboard is free, while JotSpot Live is free
for max. 5 pages, which should be enough for the GT.

I haven't tried any of them yet, but i read a couple reviews on
www.solutionwatch.com

Gobby

http://socialsoftware.weblogsinc.com/entry/1234000410060570/
http://gobby.0x539.de/

Which I can't even understand how to compile on a mac. If somebody manages to get it working on a mac, please, send it over.

We did an experiment with this the other day over at Forrest. Unfortunately our Mac users didn't want to tackle the compile either (a port is in progress apparently)

The tool was pretty good, but has some serious limitations. See the document that we wrote using it [1], it highlights the main problems. The biggest problems were:

- if any user logs out (or we suspect their connection drops) all documents in all clients are closed with no opportunity to save

- editor is minimally functional (no find, search/replace, although it has syntax highlighting)

- each user has their own copy of the document rather than all working on one central document (you may prefer this though).

Ross

[1] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/forrest/trunk/site-author/content/xdocs/docs_0_80/howto/howto-collaborativeEditing.html