Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

As a short answer: yes, the interface is ugly - but on the other hand we
only have one implementation and could remove the interface and directly
interact with the tree processor :)

The reason is more or less a historical one. We needed a clean
implementation for the tree processor and used the fastest approach. For
example the internal class is used to pass all relevant information back
to the client in order to release everything properly. This mechanism
was very ugly and not always working in 2.1.x. And out of similar
reasons I guess more and more was added without really be interested in
having a clean Processor interface.

So, if we can clean it up, yes - but we must take care that resources
and memory are released in a proper and direct way.

And now I am trying to implement a new one, and there is all this cruft I don't need in there. I just want to boil it down to what is important to my needs.