Antonio Gallardo wrote:

IMHO, for normal fields, yes. Calculated fields are more often transient. So, the default for them should be to not store them in the database.

Reasonable, but some calculated fields need to be stored, e.g. for auditing reasons and to be used as a data item in itself. An example: the calculation of BMI (body mass index = length^2/weight) is an excellent example of enhancing user experience, but storing it is necessary because it's often used in making decisions (-> audit trail) and because it can be used in charts (-> data item).

                                                               - 0 -

I know this is not the normal pattern we see in a bunch of application that try to autogenerate code. And they often fail, because they are not able to build a little bit more complex forms as a simple invoce. Since day 1, my cocoon involvement is more related to web-enable DB applications. I know cocoon is often also percieved as a publishing framework. A lot of people use cocoon mostly to build CMS or websites. Michael Wechner told me last year he think in cocoon are main two groups (publishers [CMS-ers] and DB webapp-ers) and that this two groups inevitable push in different ways. My cocoon experience involves already an account system, a payroll system between others. They normally involve more than 50 tables..... Maybe this is the case Michael pointed out and we have different needs of what a better Db support should be. While you some people is happy with few simple tables to finish the application, for others it is just the beginning.

So true. I suppose I'm in the DB-webapp "camp".

Bye, Helma