Hmpf. Do i necessary need a roles file? Cause if I change the attribute to
class in cocoon.xconf as you said, I get this when the component is looked
up:

org.apache.avalon.framework.component.ComponentException: Could not find
component (key [de.foo.bar.TestComponent])
        at
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.ExcaliburComponentManager.lookup(Excal
iburComponentManager.java:265)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.components.CocoonComponentManager.lookup(CocoonComponentMa
nager.java:335)
        at
de.pipeline.CustomNonCachingProcessingPipeline.setupPipeline(CustomNonCachin
gProcessingPipeline.java:78)