I think that the problems is that there was a 2.0.2 release of the xml-apis by mistake, don't know the story behind it, but see http://www.apache.org/dist/java-repository/xml-apis/jars/. It should have been 1.0.b2.

Several poms at the official maven repository have dependencies of 2.0.2. This has been solved by leting the 2.0.2 pom redirect to 1.0.b2, in the repository. Now some part of Cocoon core depends on DOM3 (IIRC), that is part of xml-apis 1.3.02 (but not 1.0.b2).

Now there are both indirect dependencies to 2.0.2 and a direct dependency on 1.3.02 in the Cocoon core pom. In this situation it seem like the m2 engine chose to compile with the jar with the pom with the highest version number, i.e. 2.0.2. As we saw above this is actually older (1.0.b2 through redirection) than the version we need (1.3.02).

Possible solutions would be either ask the official maven repository to redirect 2.0.2 to 1.3.02 instead or by tracking down all the indirect dependencies in the cocoon core pom and adding exclusion clauses in our poms. Considering the number of projects that depend on xml-apis and the number of poms that we have it will not be fun. Other projects are probably going to get the same problems, so we should fix the problem at its root IMO.

A strange thing that I don't understand, is that it compiled for me on my new computer where everything was installed, checked out etc this thursday.

/Daniel

Upayavira skrev:
I've just done a fresh build of trunk using m2, which failed somehow
because of problems with xml-apis, saying something like:

  "This artifact has been relocated to xml-apis:xml-apis:1.0.b2."

And I also found references to it trying to get it from a URL at:

http://cvs.apache.org/maven-snapshot-repository that didn't exist.

Any ideas? Does it work for other people?

Regards, Upayavira