I replied to that days ago in the issue (1709 I believe). In short, this is a good idea for sites (like mine) that only use anonymous users. However, the idea of permanantly caching millions of users profiles in memory is very scary and will be considered to be a memory leak by many people. So, I'm -1 on just checking that patch in as is. However, if there was a way to enable it for only anonymous users I'd be all for that.

Ralph

Jean-Baptiste Quenot wrote:

* Ralph Goers:
OK. I ran some basic tests on one of my machines. Just for basic info it is a P4 2.5 GHz with 1 GB of memory running RHEL 3. The only thing I did was set up JMeter to login to the portal as user cocoon. In all the tests the computer was maxed at 100% cpu.

Before the change:
5 threads login repeated 10 times:  Avg 3.4 seconds, Max 27 seconds.
10 threads login repeaded 5 times:  Avg 6.760 seconds, Max 22 seconds

After the change:
5 threads login repeated 10 times: Avg 1.3 seconds, Max 2.6 seconds
5 threads login repeated 20 times: Avg 1.2 seconds, Max 2.5 seconds
10 threads login repeated 5 times: Avg 2.4 seconds, Max 10 seconds.
10 threads login repeated 10 times: Avg 2.1 seconds, Max 13 seconds.

The change has been checked into 2.1.  I'll test it on 2.2 and check it in also.

Hello Ralph,

Happy new year!

Your change seems very interesting, thank you very much.  However,
I have a more radical solution to this portal login problem, see:

Speedup portal loading
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COCOON-1709

Also requires:

Allow CopletInstanceDataManager to be cloneable
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COCOON-1708