Torsten Curdt wrote:

IMO Cocoon should go the same way. The recent thread
about a complete rewrite of Cocoon *really* scares me
and a lot of people I've talked to as it will break
compatibility for sure.
Fear has always been the main blocker for new technologies.

Well, I haven't talked about what my (many's) fear is: We have been talking about blocks for ages. After years we will get them. We are good in talking about design and architecture but the usual Cocoon committer can only dedicate a fraction of his time to enhance and improve Cocoon.

Considering this situation I have the fear that we will have a good concept (and maybe some prototyp) in the end, that will block all future improvments as everybody is waiting for the much, much better next revolutionary step.

Compared to this I like Daniel's vision much more because he outlines a way how we get major improvments evolutionary. After splitting up Cocoon in many small parts (blocks) and refactoring them to POJOs, we can reimplement the core which should become much simpler if the core has been stripped down to its minimum. This also makes it much easier for us to keep our *current* userbase as they can follow us making small steps. This also has a positive impact on the quality because we never have the chicken-egg-situation that we are waiting for users that should use the new, shiny (alpha) version of Cocoon and they are waiting that the new Cocoon gets officially realeased. As Mr. Javaflow you should know this situation ;-).

I do not fear new technologies - I'm maybe the only one who is using Cocoon from trunk in a serious project - but I do fear making the same mistake that we did with 2.1 --> 2.2 again.

--
Reinhard Pötz Independent Consultant, Trainer & (IT)-Coach

                                       web(log): http://www.poetz.cc