On Thursday 05 January 2006 23:37, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> I don't recall if we tested extending where the
> URLStreamHandlers are located using the "|java.protocol.handler.pkgs"
> system property.

The general problem with the java.protocol.handler.pkgs is revolving around an
obscure bug (which Sun will not fix) which gives the side effect that those
protocol handlers MUST sit in system classloader (or higher), and that is
somewhat troublesome for products like Cocoon.

IMHO, a big pity, since one could have done so much funky stuff with URL
handlers otherwise.

The interesting thing around this is that the internal code that handles this
probably been refactored so that an additional method call is introduced on
the call stack. Reason, it looks at the callstack a couple of levels away and
tries to determine the "callee" and use its classloader. But it is always
seeing java.net.URL which classloader is null, so it calls
ClassLoader.getSystemClassLoader(). I have been arguing over this since
JDK1.2 came out, but "Won't fix." is the categorical reply from Sun.

Cheers
Niclas