From: Upayavira [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Montag, 3. Juli 2006 10:42
To: dev@cocoon.apache.org
Subject: Re: [RANT] This Maven thing is killing us....

Simone Gianni wrote:

> Niclas Hedhman wrote:
>
>> What happens *if* Mergere runs out of juice and flip the switch off?
>>

> IIUC, maven repos are nothing more than HTTP servers, and SVN is
> accessible thru HTTP, so we can create a folder named "repository" in
> our svn repo, copy the folders of artifacts we need from ibiblio, and
> have complete control over it. This is technically possible (and would
> also solve maaaaaaaany other problems), but does not solve the legal
> stuff maven repos solve about redistributing others work.

A good idea, but I can't see any way in which infrastructure would allow
this.

That is because it would prevent any useful partitioning of resources.
Maven is likely to become a resource hog, and could easily bring SVN
down to its knees. Much better that it only be the MVN repo that goes
down at such a time, and not our SVN repo too.

Upayavira

This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain confidential,
proprietary or legally privileged information. No confidentiality or privilege
is waived or lost by any mistransmission. If you receive this message in error,
please notify the sender urgently and then immediately delete the message and
any copies of it from your system. Please also immediately destroy any
hardcopies of the message. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose,
distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended
recipient. The sender's company reserves the right to monitor all e-mail
communications through their networks. Any views expressed in this message are
those of the individual sender, except where the message states otherwise and
the sender is authorised to state them to be the views of the sender's company.