Ok, I restarted from a clean svn checkout, and followed your steps.
I'm now trying only under jetty, because I believe tomcat adds more
trouble.

Anyway, I did put my context into
core\cocoon-webapp\target\cocoon-webapp\WEB-INF\cocoon\spring and it
doesn't load it, no errors, nothing at all.

But, whenever I copy definitions directly into
WEB-INF/applicationContext.xml after the <avalon:avalon> part, it
loads and I get the error I wanted, that is :

[INFO] Failure
Embedded error: Cannot invoke listener org.springframework.web.context.ContextLo
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
org.springframework.jdbc.datasource.DriverManagerDataSource

Which is "ok", because org.spring.jdbc.*  jar wasn't in my classpath.
Sounds like autoload under jetty doesn't work here. I'll try again
with tomcat5.5.17, see if it's different.

Here is my daoContext.xml :
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<beans xmlns="http://www.springframework.org/schema/beans";
           xmlns:aop="http://www.springframework.org/schema/aop";
           http://www.springframework.org/schema/aop
http://www.springframework.org/schema/aop/spring-aop.xsd";>
        <bean

class="org.springframework.jdbc.datasource.DriverManagerDataSource"
                id="dataSource">
                <property name="driverClassName">
                        <value>org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver</value>
                </property>
                <property name="url">
                        <value>jdbc:mysql://localhost/foo</value>
                </property>
                <property name="username">
                        <value>root</value>
                </property>
                <property name="password">
                        <value></value>
                </property>
        </bean>
</beans>

Extracts from WEB-INF/web.xml :

 <context-param>
<param-name>org.apache.cocoon.bootstrap.servlet.ShieldingListener</param-name>
<param-value>org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoaderListener</param-value>
</context-param>
 <listener>

<listener-class>org.apache.cocoon.bootstrap.servlet.ShieldingListener</listener-class>
 </listener>

laurent

- Mobile world, technology and more</a>