I'm not sure if Cocoon should be used for writing web applications at
all. If you want to write a simple application, you need to write (and
learn) the sitemap, flowscript and probably JXTemplate. If you want to
use cforms, you need to know how to write form definitions, form
templates and maybe even form bindings. If you want to apply some
styling you need to know about XSLT as well.

And it even makes it more difficult if you want to reuse some of these
parts (try to extend or override parts in cforms, jxtemplate or flow -
it wasn't designed for this).

I've switched to use Wicket for the new application that we've been
creating here. I think it's much easier to create web applications with
wicket (because one of the things that make it easier to use is that it
takes the request/response cycles away). It's back to basic html (or
xhtml) with Java. And onf of the best things is that you can reuse
and extend your components (including reuse of markup).

Cocoon's SoC made writing web applications better because of the strong
separation of logic, content and styling. And javaflow improved it because
it took some request/response details away. I think Wicket has achieved
the same goal, but I think it's more productive to use than Cocoon is
these days. Maybe Cocoon should focus on XML transformation stuff again,
and not trying to integrate yet anohter product...

Just my 2 cents.