On Dec 5, 2007 3:16 PM, Reinhard Poetz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> ...[*] borrowing the term "micro" from Bertrand who used it for a slimmed down
> version of Sling which seems to be another (too) huge beast in the webapp
> framework arena....

I would have been shy mentioning microsling here, so thanks ;-)

The goals of Sling and microsling [1] are somewhat similar to what you
mention, that is helping people think in REST terms and providing
powerful scriptable server-side components to build REST applications.

Being JCR backed, though, makes XML mostly unnecessary in microsling,
and that makes things much simpler when dealing with content, by
avoiding markup until the very end of the request processing.
microsling uses templates based on server-side javascript (Rhino of
course).

The need for XML might resurface in Sling to produce documents in
formats like PDF or SVG - and for that a micro-Cocoon (we'd just need
embeddable pipelines, basically) might make a lot of sense. The itch
hasn't been strong enough to require scratching yet, but that will
probably happen sooner or later.

-Bertrand

[1]
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/sling/trunk/microsling/microsling-standalone/