Reinhard Poetz wrote:

I have started to write some Ant scripts to produce non-Maven release artifacts. This will of course help everybody who doesn't want to use Maven or Ivy for dependency management but will also bundle all the information that belongs together (src, binaries, docs, javadocs, licensing information).

Most of the work has been finished but now I got stuck with the question if we should ship third-party libs or not. E.g. for the Spring configurator this would be everything listed at http://cocoon.apache.org/subprojects/configuration/1.0/spring-configurator/1.0/dependencies.html.

The advantages are that the user gets everything that she needs but the disadvantages are that we would have to add all license files of all 3rd-party libs (AFAIK there is no automatic mechanism for that) and the download size would increase. And I think that in 2008 you shouldn't manage your library dependency graph manually anymore in your projects (Maven, Ivy, the Maven Ant tasks are of great help and at least the last one is very easy to use.)

Finally, if we decide to ship 3rd party libs, one technical question:
Am I right that there is no automatic mechanism for Ant or Maven that pulls together all license information of all 3rd-party libs? And, if we decide to not ship 3rd party libs, am I right that we don't have to add license files of them? (Otherwise all artifacts on the central Maven repository would be legally broken ...)

Any comments?

Anyone?

If I don't hear anything I will *not* include any third-party stuff (the only exception will be the getting-started stuff).

Users will have to download all libraries themselves.

Apache Cocoon Committer, PMC member, PMC Chair        [EMAIL PROTECTED]