Joerg Heinicke wrote:
> On 21.08.2008 23:53, Reinhard Pötz wrote:
>
>> After having already discussed the details, let's make a formal decision
>> about versioning, SVN, Maven, namespaces issue tracking and CI for
>> Cocoon 3.
>
> +1 to everything except ...
>
>> XML NAMESPACES
>> -------------------------------
>> Corona currently uses three different namespaces in XML documents:
>>
>>  http://apache.org/cocoon/corona/sitemap
>>  http://apache.org/cocoon/corona/servlet
>>  http://apache.org/cocoon/corona/controller
>>
>> These namespaces are without a version number.
>>
>> Since I don't see how version numbers could help, I propose
>>
>>  http://apache.org/cocoon/sitemap
>>  http://apache.org/cocoon/servlet
>>  http://apache.org/cocoon/controller
>
> I know I'm rather late ...
>
> Don't these version numbers just help in the same way as versioned jars
> help? It's possible to signal additional functionality or
> incompatibilities. Just look at the Spring framework.

We did look at the Spring framework and they don't use versioned
namespaces, e.g. http://www.springframework.org/schema/beans, but only
versioned XSDs.

Versioned namespaces aren't of much help because the sitemap language
interpreter has to validate the XML in some way - checking the namespace
isn't good enough anyway.

IMO versioned XSDs are all you need to signal additional functionality
or incompatibilities.

Apache Cocoon Committer, PMC member                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]