I'm not sure what is meant by "Java SE 5" level of JAXB support because
AFAICS it doesn't come with the JRE. I guess that it means that we have
to add a JAXB dependency to the cocoon-optional POM:

<dependency>
  <groupId>com.sun.xml.bind</groupId>
  <artifactId>jaxb-impl</artifactId>
  version>2.2</version>
  <optional>true</optional>
</dependency>

and

<dependency>
  <groupId>javax.xml</groupId>
  <artifactId>jaxb-api</artifactId>
  <version>2.1</version>
  <optional>true</optional>
</dependency>

Both are available at the central Maven repo.

Since the impl is licenced under CDDL we have to add the CDDL license to
the cocoon-optional LICENSE.txt and the mentioned third-party notice to
the NOTICE.txt file.

Reinhard