On 23/06/20 23:20, Cédric Damioli wrote:
> <snip/>
>
>>> Why not, but are we sure that we won't have regressions due to downgrade of
>>> jakarta-regexp (the xalan bundled version is 1.2 AFAIU) ?
>>>
>>>  From a design POV, I find it quite strange to rely on an XSLT lib (ie
>>> Xalan) to provide regexp processing.
>>> Could it be better to remove org.apache.bcel and org.apache.regexp from the
>>> xalan jar and keep the existing librairies ?
>>> I suppose that was how it has been done previously for xalan-2.7.1
>> It seems you are quite right.
>>
>> I took cocoon-2.1.12-deps.tar.gz from
>>
>> http://cocoon.apache.org/mirror.html
>>
>> then extracted
>>
>> lib/endorsed/xalan-2.7.1.jar
>>
>> and found that it is *not the same* you can download from Maven Central under
>>
>> https://repo1.maven.org/maven2/xalan/xalan/2.7.1/xalan-2.7.1.jar
>>
>> but that it matches the one you can download from
>>
>> http://archive.apache.org/dist/xalan/xalan-j/binaries/xalan-j_2_7_1-bin-2jars.zip
>>
>> because it does not contain any org.apache.bcel.* nor any
>> org.apache.regexp.* class.
>>
>> So I went ahead and replaced the current
>>
>> lib/endorsed/xalan-2.7.2.jar
>>
>> in the source tree with the one contained in
>>
>> http://archive.apache.org/dist/xalan/xalan-j/binaries/xalan-j_2_7_2-bin-2jars.zip
>>
>> and all went out smoothly.
>>
>> Problem solved :-)
>> Regards.
>>
> It can't be that easy :)
> The xalan-2.7.2 you just uploaded does not contains xsltc, whereas the
> previous xalan-2.7.1 did contain it.
> And the xsltc.jar comes bundled with cled and regexp.
>
> But you're completely right, it seems we did not have an official xalan jar.
>
> My suggestion, to preserve legacy behaviour, is to remove
> org.apache.(bcel|regexp).* from the full xalan jar.
>
> What do you think ?

Well, in this era of reproducible builds, taking another project's dist
artifact, mangle it and include it our own sources looks a bit... weird.

At least, the current file comes actually unchanged from Xalan's release
artifact.

Maybe we could do as you suggest - e.g. restore the previous xalan-2.7.2.jar
and strip out the indicated classes - but also renaming it somehow, e.g.
xalan-2.7.2-cocoon-2.1.13.jar and adding some explanation in lib/jars.xml about
how we obtained this JAR from official Xalan's JAR.

Does it sound reasonable?
Regards.

--
Francesco Chicchiriccò