As a somewhat new topic, but seems reasonable in the same thread, I'm
interested in eliminating the dichotomy of using m2 to release poms
vs. components. We discussed we'll start staging skins, this will mean
extending that to poms.

Operationally, this will mean that the process (and m2 commands)
mentioned at the top of this thread will consistently be used for all
releases (be it poms or components). Other benefits: staging (we can
watch license headers, for example), a simpler pom (no need for
release profile, which mostly overlaps with the rc profile).

-Rahul