--- James Carman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]
> parse trees etc.) and
> >  any intermediate "first-class object" simply gets
> in the way IMO.
> >

> The first-class Expression object encapsulates the
> specifics of the
> implementation (whether it be a String or some
> Serializable object or
> whatever).  This way, you just code to the
> commons-expression API
> (getValue/setValue) rather than carrying around some
> string.  Also,
> the implementations are free to "compile" their
> expressions so that
> they perform better (the MVEL implementation does
> this and it smokes
> all of the others in my simple benchmarking, because
> I can't get OGNL
> to compile its expression without a "root object"
> from the beginning).
>
> >  > >
> >  > >  (5) The [proxy] APIs have bled into your
> proposal. While thats
> >  > >  completely understandable in a PoC since you
> have the [proxy] usecase
> >  > >  in mind, we will have to clean that up.
> Perhaps [proxy] or [scxml]
> >  > >  might need a subinterface or equivalent of
> the cleaner [expression]
> >  > >  APIs, we'll have to see. If [expression]
> makes progress, I'd want
> >  > >  [scxml] to depend on it.
> >  > >
> >  >
> >  > Well, the builder idea does require proxies to
> get it to work.  I'm
> >  > using the InvocationRecorder support from Proxy
> to achieve this.  I
> >  > could pull that stuff out of proxy and into
> [expression] if others see
> >  > that as necessary.  I think the builder idea is
> a very nice addition,
> >  > though.  It's like being able to create an
> anonymous inner class in
> >  > Java without having to create the class.  It's
> almost like having a
> >  > closure (albeit a limited one)! :)
> >  >
> >  <snip/>
> >
> >  I'd like [expression] to have no dependencies
> (other than the ELs
> >  themselves, for the various adapters).
>
> Well, the builder idea can't be done without using
> proxies.  And, you
> can't do the type of proxies necessary for the
> majority of cases (ones
> that extend classes rather than implement
> interfaces) using the JDK
> proxy support only.  So, you're going to have to
> have a dependency
> there somewhere (assuming you like the Builder
> idea).  I'd rather use
> Proxy for this since that's its job.  It knows how
> to make proxies
> using various technologies and I don't want to have
> to think about
> that in this library.  Proxy doesn't have any
> required dependencies
> out of the box.  It would, of course, require
> dependencies based on
> which proxying technology you choose to use in your

Without having looked at the code, I'm not
understanding why [proxy] would be a "first-class"
dependency.  Seems like it would be optional depending
on whether a client of [expression?] wanted to use the
recording implementation.

I still agree with Rahul that object graph navigation
is the commonality here.  But once you remove the
concept of an integral String representation it seems
like generic functor stuff to me.  JXPath has Pointers
that behave somewhat like what you're suggesting,
James, but ultimately they are still tied to the
original syntactic representation.  Of course, "object
graph navigation" is 3/4 of OGNL's name, isn't it?

I MIGHT be able to accept the recording implementation
as an "expression" if you at least made the toString()
of the recording present something expressionlike:
e.g.

record <
 getFoo()
 getBar()
 getBaz()

toString():  "getFoo().getBar().getBaz()"

-Matt