Hi,

I have downloaded and edited Commons CLI.  It works fine after some
configuring in Eclipse.  Building from the command line, however, fails,
both with Ant and with Maven.

Ok, that is not entirely true: ant dist works in that it produces a jar,
but:
junit-present:
     [echo] ================================= WARNING
================================
     [echo] Junit isn't present in your ${ANT_HOME}/lib directory. Tests
not executed.
     [echo]

I tried putting junit.jar into /usr/share/ant/lib, but it still gives
this error.  What can I do to get it to do the tests?

Maven is more problematic.  The README says to do mvn jar:jar.  Well,
this has failed with a lot of different messages, the latest one is:

> mvn jar:jar
[INFO] Scanning for projects...
[INFO] Searching repository for plugin with prefix: 'jar'.
[INFO]
[INFO] Building Commons CLI
[INFO]    task-segment: [jar:jar]
[INFO]
[INFO] [jar:jar]
[INFO]
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO] Error assembling JAR

Embedded error: Manifest file: /home/hendrik/workspace/Jakarta
CLI/target/osgi/MANIFEST.MF does not exist.
[INFO]
[INFO]
[INFO] Total time: 2 seconds
[INFO] Finished at: Fri Oct 17 15:33:50 CEST 2008
[INFO] Final Memory: 10M/151M
[INFO]

If I try to do the default mvn clean install it starts out fine, but
complains about generics, which is obvious, because it gives javac the
switch -source 1.3!!

Since I generified CLI, obviously I want to use -source 1.5 (and
actually, for now, I wouldn’t bother with -source at all and get it
compiling under the latest Java).

Some recommendations mostly welcome.  Once the tests run, I can start
submitting patches.

H.
--
Hendrik Maryns