I have no problem with using Configuration instead of
HierarchicalConfiguration except that it doesn't contain all the necessary
methods yet.

I guess from what you are telling me is that the branch is kind of half-way
between the 1.x branch and where it is intended to go.  That's fine. It just
means one more place I can help out :-)

Ralph