Henri Yandell wrote:

Let's create a branch in the sandbox and let Dan dive in. Effectively
it's the git model, but slightly closer because he's already a
committer. Once it's reached its release point, we can all be looking
and debating whether it is DbUtils 2.0 or DbUtils2.

[The first is a new release of the existing component, the second is,
akin to how CLI2 should have been done, a new product]

I wound up creating two branches: a "java5" branch and a "bugfixing" branch. The idea of the "bugfixing" branch is that it should be totally uncontroversial to roll into trunk and release as dbutils 1.2.

In revision 741990 I've checked in my initial round of Java 5 patching in in https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/sandbox/dbutils/java5 ... feel free to review.

For the record, my goal in the java5 branch is NOT to meaningfully modify the API. In fact, I think my java5 changes have made no change to the runtime API at all; a jar compiled against DbUtils trunk should continue to work if you use a Java5 VM and swap in my java5 jar.

I think there should be no need to create a "DbUtils2" project for this; calling it "2.0" seems more appropriate.

I haven't checked anything into https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/sandbox/dbutils/bugfixing yet, but I will.

Thanks again!

-Dan