Hi all,

since everybody seems to agree to promoting compress I collected several todos.
I would like to discuss what is necessary for release 1 and what is not.

* Of course administrative stuff: vote compress to proper etc. I don't
have a clue of that currently. Who of you feels responsible for
kicking that off? :-) I don't want to cause any hectic, but I don't
want to see compress sleeping again, sorry for pushing :-)

* Gump: I don't see compress here:
http://vmgump.apache.org/gump/public/apache-commons/index.html
I guess compress should be included like the other components. I think
this should go into Jira?

* Stefan wrote: "I'd love to work on Zip64 support (archiving files >
2GB), but this can wait until 1.1.". Well, prio has allready been
said, but I guess this would fit fine in Jira issue (Medium)

* ChangeSet Support (SANDBOX-183): testcases and such are running. Its
possible to write to Zip files. I would think this could go into a
release, maybe as experimental. Stefan said he would like to see
really stable code. We need to decide if it should dropped in or not.
I guess this would be a modification in the pom.xml, if we decide not
to include this feature. If experimental (would be my choice right
now): is it enough to point this out with javadoc? However in any
case, ChangeSet does resolve now S-183. It could have a follow up (for
example renaming files), but basically i think 183 can be closed, when
tagged as experimental.

* sebb said:"I'd like to see some statements in the Javadoc about the
intended thread safety or otherwise of the classes.". I would think we
should include this as an Jira issue, so it won't get lost. This are
that tasks: check about thread safety, fix thread hostile classes,
document it in javadoc.

* I said:"Improve maven site stuff, which is a bit outdated now." and
Dennis offered his help with maven stuff. I think this should go into
Jira.

* CPIO implementation needs more testcases. I think this should go into Jira.

Then of coursse we have a lots of issues/bugs.
Policy [1] says: "Make sure that there are no major bugs in JIRA".
This would mean we have to fix at least 9 issues.

Blocker Issues:
SANDBOX-284      TarArchiveEntry(File) now crashes on file system roots

Major Issues:
SANDBOX-183     Compress should allow for writing to Zip Files
SANDBOX-298     BZip2CompressorInputStream.reportCRCError() does not
report problems to user
SANDBOX-282     TAR formaT unspecified
SANDBOX-286     BZip2CompressorInputStream doesn't work if wrapped into
InputStreamReader
SANDBOX-293     Make ZiparchiveInputStream support as much of the zip
package as possible
SANDBOX-280     unable to extract a TAR file that contains an entry which
is 10 GB in size
SANDBOX-176     Enable creation of tool-readable ZIP archives with file
names containing non-ASCII characters
SANDBOX-296     Ar doesn't delete correct

Minor Issues:
SANDBOX-124     [compress] bzip2 - implement flush()
SANDBOX-297     AbstractTestCase.createArchive method appears to use
incorrect file size - cut and paste error?
SANDBOX-299     ArchiveStreamFactory.createArchiveInputStream() &
createArchiveOutputStream() should throw Exception if archiverName is
not recognised
SANDBOX-295     JarArchiveEntry does not populate manifestAttributes or
certificates
SANDBOX-294     The field TarArchiveInputStream.in is never read locally

I can help with 183, 298, 296, 297, 299, 284. For the other I would
have to look more deeper since I am not an expert in compression
algorithms, but there is a chance that I can help here too.

Maybe we can lower down some prios to medium. I would see SANDBOX-282
as such an issue. Changing to POSIX specs would be good, but this will
be lots of work i think. This can slow down the development of
compress. Related to 282 is SANDBOX-280 (obviously). I would lower
this down in prio too and put it into the next release.

Best,
Christian

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/commons/CreatingReleases