Reasoning purely by symmetry, doesn't it seem that where you are headed here
is toward an extended rational polynomial class that handles rational
polynomials of a base variable and simple functions of a base variable (such
as trig functions, log and exp)?

If so, then having some kind of unified class would probably be a good
thing.  You could pretty easily support the same functions as the current
Polynomial class (derivative, multiply, add, negate and so on).  The
question of log(-1) and sqrt(-1) is likely to come up, but if you add a
convention for complaining about these, then you should be good to go.

The next step is to file a JIRA where discussions like this can have a home.