If the code has been tested by the folks at hadoop I trust it very
much. (They do extensive testing!) and would be all for replacing the
current code base. But IMO that's no blocker. In the end the algorithm
should be a black box for everyone using compress. So changing this in
a later release should be no problem.

I would strongly argue against shipping two code bases for the same
algorithm. It would cause more confusion than it would help IMO.