From: Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
To: Commons Developers List <dev@commons.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 3:25:32 PM
Subject: Re: commons-logging unsuited for cross-context webapplication
invocation usage - migrating to slf4j?

On Apr 21, 2009, at 11:59 AM, Dennis Lundberg wrote:

> I'm not that experienced in writing portlets or how the portlet
> container works. Can you please try to explain in more detail what the
> problem is.
>
> Commons Logging works great in a servlet container like Tomcat. Every
> webapp can have their own version of commons-logging and their own
> configuration. How does the portlet container use case differ from this?
>
> Do you configure Commons Logging explicitly, by using a
> commons-logging.properties file or are you relying on auto discovery? In
> my experience you you should *always* configure the logging
> implementation explicitly if you want deterministic results.

As I said in an earlier post, I follow the various portlet mailing lists but
really have very little to do with the issue they are experiencing. It is
documented at http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PLUTO-553.

In a nutshell though, the Portal is a War. Individual portlets are packaged as
separate war files and are run under the direction of the main portal war. They
seem to want all the portlets to use the logging configuration of the portal.
Personally, I'm not sure what they are saying they want makes sense, but I
guess the point is that even if it doesn't they should still be able to do it.

Ralph