You are right, but maybe we mix up two things:

a) In almost all other SCMs (except SVN) a tag is a 'reference' to a specific
version. In SVN it's a copy (virtually a readonly branch) so you cannot have
multiple tags on the same revision. -> the rettagging isn't valid because it's
_not_ physically the same.

b) for SVN it's imho perfectly ok to delete a copy which is erronous, because
you don't touch trunk here. So a RC which never got deployed to another area
than staging may imho safely be deleted/rollbacked.

Maybe a mixed scenario would work. Doing development, calling a X-RC-[1-n] if
all is ok, do a X release:prepare release:stage, call a vote on that stage, if
it passes do a release:perform. That should combine the best parts of both
processes, wdyt?

LieGrue,
strub