On 15/05/2009, nicolas de loof <nicolas.del...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm +1 to have a 0.0 version in central under commons-logging groupId.
>  - this can't break the LATEST rule
>  - this will only apply if user explicitly declare this version as dependency
>  (or dependencyManagement)
>  - this don't break the existing commosn-logging user-base
>  - this avoid introducing some third party repo in POM, tahtn can introduce
>  many other unexpected dependencies conflicts

+1, I agree 0.0 should be safe.
[I'm assuming it never becomes necessary to wrap-round to negative numbers!]

But does it actually work with transitive dependencies?

AIUI, the original motivation for the 99 hack was to deal with
commons-logging dependencies in transitive dependencies, not for the
initial dependency.

Which is why the number had to be "later" than any other versions.

I suggested 0.0, but then withdrew it because it would not be "later",
but maybe it can be made to work.

>  I don't think such an empty "hack" jar is injurious to commons-logging
>  developers, this is just a required maven hack that recognize how
>  universally commons-logging is used ! To be fully community-compliant, we
>  must help users to choose as easily as possible a Logging facade, so
>  enabling or disabling commons-logging should NOT be a maven hell.

I disagree - I don't think Commons *needs* to do anything to be
"community-compliant".

But if there is something that can be done which does not adversely
affect existing Commons users and developers, then yes, that is
something we should consider.