Emmanuel,

On Sat, 2009-05-30 at 23:38 +0200, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:
> James Ring a écrit :
>
> > I think partial matching should be disabled by default. While a neat
> > feature to reduce typing, this behaviour will probably come as a
> > surprise to people because it is not found in most programs. Also, if
> > an option is not completely specified, I know I'd like the program to
> > crash rather than run but do something that I don't expect.
>
> I believe a lot a GNU tools implement the partial matching for the long
> options. For example "ls --col" is equivalent to "ls --color". Same
> thing for mysql. But I haven't seen an application supporting the
> partial matching with long options using a single dash ("java -ver"
> doesn't work). I think I'll disable this case by default.

There is a extremely crucial difference between this and the previous
example, this one has -- and so must be handling long options, the
earlier example was -ver.

I would suggest that partial matching of long options with two hyphens
can be on by default since there is no conflict.  Partial matching of
long options with single hyphen is much more problematic and so perhaps
should be off by default.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      Partner