This should have gone to the dev list.

On May 31, 2009, at 10:33 PM, Ralph Goers wrote:

On May 31, 2009, at 9:24 AM, chris0 wrote:

Hello,

I'm making this proposal because I couldn't find a good solution to a
problem that I recently had.

What I wanted to do was to configure an application with a simple XML file,
something along the lines of:

<config>
        <title>test</title>
        <version
                major="1"
                minor="2"/>
        <roles>
                <role name="admin"/>
                <role name="user"/>
        </roles>
        <users>
                <user name="joe" password="pass" role="admin"/>
                <user name="harry" password="secret" role="user"/>
        </users>
</config>

So the point is that it's really a very simple bit of XML data and what I wanted was a nice easy way to read it in. The current options seem to be
SAX, DOM or JAXB.

Why not just use Commons Configuration and do:

HierarchicalConfiguration config = new XMLConfiguration("config.xml");
String title = config.getString("title");
int majorVersion = config.getInt("versi...@major]");

etc.

Ralph