----- Original Message ----- From: <luc.maison...@free.fr>
To: "Commons Developers List" <dev@commons.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 2:58 PM
Subject: Re: svn commit: r785552 - in /commons/proper/math/trunk/src: java/org/apache/commons/math/complex/Complex.java site/xdoc/changes.xml

----- "Phil Steitz" <phil.ste...@gmail.com> a écrit :

Sorry if I am being dense here. What serialization problem do the new
fields cause, exactly? The class is immutable and they are set by the
constructor.

It takes more space to store. If someone uses serialization to store or send a bunch of complex >this will vastly increase the load.

The main problem is that the fields can be either transient or final, but not both (or rather, you can't reset the value of final fields in readObject). I have a slight preference for transient for the reason Luc gave (a BlockFieldMatrix<ComplexField> will get large quickly), and have no problem doing the change myself. But I can wait for other opinions.