In both cases I would suggest enabling debugging for httpclient. It will give you a bunch of output to show what is really going on. But an error with "Moved Permanently" leads me to think something isn't right on your server. According to RFC 2616 vfs should not automatically redirect on a 301 status code. What do you see in the Apache logs?

Ralph