I looked quickly at the new classes, I'm not convinced by the benefit of the RequiredCharsetNames class in the codec API. I understand it's useful internally to factorize some string constants in the classes, but as a user I don't think I would ever use it myself.

Regarding the StringBytesUtils class, why doesn't it follow the general scheme of the API with encoder/decoders? I would probably expect a CharsetEncoder and a CharsetDecoder class. I guess the intent is just to provide utility methods swallowing the UnsupportedEncodingException?

Emmanuel Bourg

Niall Pemberton a écrit :
I have prepared a second release candidate for Codec 1.4 following the
feedback (thanks!) from the first.

[ ] +1 Yes go ahead an release based on RC2
[ ] -1 No, because...

The tag for RC2 is here:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/proper/codec/tags/CODEC_1_4_RC2/

The release artefacts are here
http://people.apache.org/~niallp/codec-1.4-rc2/

Site is available here:
http://people.apache.org/~niallp/codec-1.4-rc2/site/
(note: some links are relative and will be broken until deployed to
proper codec home)

RAT Report:
http://people.apache.org/~niallp/codec-1.4-rc2/site/rat-report.html

CLIRR Report: