Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Commons Wiki" for
change notification.

The following page has been changed by PhilSteitz:
http://wiki.apache.org/commons/MathWishList

The comment on the change is:
Dropped things that have been implemented or no longer make sense.

   * Add ability to compute the density of normal distribution and other well
behaved distributions
   * Add ability to sample from some of the common distributions such as
normal, gamma, beta and so on.
   * Add Dirichlet, Multinomial distributions
-  * Add alternative pseudo-random number generators (PRNGs)
+  * Add additional alternative pseudo-random number generators (PRNGs)
-    * "implement good random number generators, e.g., like those described in
''Numerical Recipes'' or Knuth". -- AlChou
-    * I highly recommend working with Paul Houle
[http://www.honeylocust.com/RngPack/] to get these random number generators
integrated into the math library. He has stated to me in the past that he is
willing to relicense them under the Apache license. As well I beleive that with
the BSD being compatable with Apache licensing, there would be little stopping
us from integrating them ourselves as a derivative work. - Mark Diggory -
Pluggable as of 1.1 release.
-    * Investigate alternative methods for generating values from discrete
distributions [http://www.jstatsoft.org/v11/i03/]
+  * Investigate alternative methods for generating values from discrete
distributions [http://www.jstatsoft.org/v11/i03/]
-  * Add sparse matrix implementation.
[http://markmail.org/message/esfeuzzazz6yeqyk]
-  * Add Vector implementation (RealVector would extend RealMatrix)
-  * Develop Genetic Algorithms Framework
[http://markmail.org/message/jweowvj5hsy7omzc]
   * Resampling [http://markmail.org/message/u3diwc76m66r7qme]
   * Applied-mathematical/Mathematical-physics algorithms? - Henri Yandell
     * Examples, please?  This item goes to the heart of what I consider an
ongoing lack of consensus about what Commons-Math is supposed to be for.
Should it include discipline-specific algorithms that do not overlap core
numerical mathematical areas?  Maybe, but we should discuss it. -- AlChou
-  * "Rolling" statistics with large windows but limited storage
[http://mail-archives.apache.org/eyebrowse/readmsg?listname=commons-...@jakarta.apache.org&msgNo=41870]
-    * I don't understand; we already have some storage-less statistics.  What
am I missing from the post you refer to? -- AlChou
-    * Oh, I remember now that with the standard deviation algorithm I
researched, in order to maintain a '''rolling window''', it would have to store
all the data in the window so it could delete the least recent one while adding
the most recent one.  Sorry for the denseness. -- AlChou
   * Numerical Enhancements
       * [http://zxg32.blogchina.com/2787280.html Post-SOC TODO List] -
Xiaogang Zhang
-  * Multiple regression
[http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/jakarta-commons-dev/200401.mbox/%3c20040128222224.17393.qm...@web41704.mail.yahoo.com%3e]

   * Replace some of the discrete pmf and pdf methods with methods based on
Catherine Loader's alogorithms [http://www.herine.net/stat/papers/dbinom.pdf].
These algorithms address some of the problems we experienced with large
parameter values and have been adopted by many software packages including R.
   * Implement monte carlo simulation
[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monte_Carlo_method]
   * [wiki:PrimeNumbers Prime Numbers Functionality] -- SharonLourduraj