Hi all,

I have an idea for a Google Summer of Code project relating to SCXML,
and I wanted to post it and see if there would be any interest in it
in the Apache SCXML Commons community.

The basic idea of the project is to create a Statechart-to-JavaScript
compiler which is optimized for developing rich, browser-based user
interfaces on the world wide web. Statecharts are well-suited for
describing certain kinds of complex UI behaviour, and the browser
environment is already a particularly challenging platform for
front-end developers to target, hence a Statechart-to-JavaScript
compiler could be a great boon for web front-end developers. I have
already done some work on both developing rich, browser-based user
interfaces using SVG and Statecharts [0], and on constructing a
Statechart-to-JavaScript compiler, which takes a statechart encoded as
SCXML, and outputs optimized JavaScript. The work of the GSoC project
would be to complete the Statechart-to-JavaScript compiler, and
enhance it to support animated, graphical debugging, such that it
would generate a graphical representation of the statechart (using SVG
or Graphviz dot), and instrument the compiled code so that it animates
the graphical representation. This could then be hooked into a live
user-interface to allow one to graphically debug their user interface.
If anyone has any questions or comments, please let me know. Thanks,

Jake

[0] http://www.svgopen.org/2009/papers/36-Modelling_the_Reactive_Behaviour_of_SVGbased_Scoped_User_Interfaces_with_Hierarchicallylinked_Statecharts/