From: "Phil Steitz" <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Sent: Sunday, March 21, 2010 5:27 PM
To: "Commons Developers List" <dev@commons.apache.org>
Subject: [math] releasing 2.1 - compatibility breaks,  site build failure

I have completed all of the code / doco changes that I see as
necessary for 2.1.  While preparing an initial RC, I ran into two
issues, that I want to get consensus on before moving forward.

1) The clirr report is ugly
(http://commons.apache.org/math/clirr-report.html)
I was +1 on all of the breaks, which were all of the form "we got
the API definitions wrong on 2.0, few users are likely depending on
these APIs and we are fixing them now."  I just want us all to
review the full set of compatibility breaks and decide that we can
release trunk as 2.0 (vs. 3.0 or try to retrofit).

Yes, the only thing I could suggest is to make the clirr report even uglier by cleaning up ArrayRealVector to use it's base class methods for map** methods ;). I don't consider this important enough to hold up a 2.1 release, but if other people do, I'm happy to volunteer to do the work.

I agree with Luc that this should be 2.1. This is mostly bug fixes. I'd vote to release this as 2.1.

2) I am still getting this nonsense from pmd with the latest
commons-parent (I am really sorry, Niall, that I did not get a
chance to test v. 14 prior to release)
[ERROR] FATAL ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO] Couldn't find that class The markup declarations contained or
pointed to by the document type declaration must be well-formed.
[INFO]
[INFO] Trace
java.lang.RuntimeException: Couldn't find that class The markup
declarations contained or pointed to by the document type
declaration must be well-formed.
at
net.sourceforge.pmd.RuleSetFactory.parseRuleSetNode(RuleSetFactory.java:235)
at
net.sourceforge.pmd.RuleSetFactory.createRuleSet(RuleSetFactory.java:157)
at
net.sourceforge.pmd.RuleSetFactory.createRuleSet(RuleSetFactory.java:146)
at
org.apache.maven.plugin.pmd.PmdReport.executeReport(PmdReport.java:186)

I would just as soon axe the pmd report from the pom.  We can add it
back at a later time if we like.

I am +0 on moving forward with the compatibility breaks documented
in release notes and eliminating the pmd report, but I would like
some feedback before tagging and cutting the RC.

tia,

Phil