Simone,

I'm sorry I'm confusing, so many thoughts going though my mind =)

yes, I think the best approach is to provide a separate class for the
JMX...but I'm thinking that doing a private inner class (non-static) in each
pool would be the cleanest way to do so.  This way, the MBean (instance)
would have direct access to both the config values (read/write) as well as
the ability to invoke pool methods (such as getNumwaiters(), POOL-159).
This would significantly cut down on the bootstrapping of having to register
the config and pool with the MBean.

Once I get home, I'll attach a JMX patch to POOL-172 using your latest
commit.

I noticed your two JIRA tickets for the concurrency and builder
pattern....should one be submitted to add the @deprecated tag to the 1.5 API
for the various classes, methods, and constructors we're blowing away?