On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 2:28 AM, Simone Tripodi <simone.trip...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Phil,
>

> >> org.apache.commons.pool2.impl
> >>                                           |---- generic
> >>                                           |---- reference
> >>                                           |---- stack
> >>
> >> common stuff could be included directly under impl.
> >>

> > What exactly would that be?
> >

> just realized that there are no common stuff shared by different kind of
> pool :P
>

> > I was going to propose dropping the stack pools altogether.  The
> LIFO/FIFO
> > config option in the generic pools makes them mostly irrelevant (i.e.,
> you
> > can get the same behavior with a suitably configured GOP / GKOP with much
> > more configurability)
> >

> I had the same feelings here, but felt a little shy on saying that.

No reason for that :)

> You've my full support on this, I agree on dropping stack based pool
> implementations.
>
> Good.  Lets do it.

> > I don't want to sound too conservative and I will certainly not stand in
> the
> > way of new / different pool implementations, but I would personally
> prefer
> > to keep the number of included pool impls as small as possible.
> >

> I propose a more democratic way, I mean, like you made us notice,
> keeping/adding the pool impl only if it makes sense to.
> I wouldn't think about the included pools in therms of "size" but
> rather in therms of "meaning"

Agree this is completely up to the community and them who bring the
patches.   The reason that I tend to be conservative is that more impls mean
more bugs, which makes fixing them all and getting releases out quickly
harder.   Pooling code is tricky to maintain, so fewer pools with
less-exotic features might be better all around - not just in terms of
maintenance, but also approachability from the standpoint of users and
contributors.

> > I think the first thing we need to do is to decide what implementations
> we
> > are going to a) keep or b) add for 2.0.  I have been convinced that we
> need
> > to keep GKOP as well as GOP.  As I said above, I would like to consider
> > dropping the stack-based pools.  I think we should keep the
> reference-based
> > pool and I am open to the new ones you suggest, just don't have use cases
> > myself for them.
>
> I'm not ready to show use cases too, sorry :( But they can be added
> with a trivial refactory, moving the current SoftReferenceObjectPool
> implementation to an
>
>    AbstractReferenceObjectPool<T, R extends Reference<T>> extends
> BaseObjectPool<T> implements ObjectPool<T>
>
> then in subclasses do the minimum. I can quickly provide a patch for it.

I am OK with this as long as it does not complicate the code too much.

> > There are quite a few impls buried in PoolUtils that might
> > make sense to pull out (or eliminate).
> >

> I just made a census (with proposals):
>
>  * PoolableObjectFactoryAdaptor
>  * KeyedPoolableObjectFactoryAdaptor
>  * ObjectPoolAdaptor
>  * KeyedObjectPoolAdaptor
>
> I propose to eliminate these adaptors,

That's the spirit - he he

> they implement a behavior that
> users can replicate with a trivial code and without build a
> pool/factory on top of an existing ones
>
>  * CheckedObjectPool
>  * CheckedKeyedObjectPool
>
> These can be eliminated too, having introduced the generics

+1 - I think Gary may have mentioned this already.   Lets get rid of them.

>  * ObjectPoolMinIdleTimerTask
>  * KeyedObjectPoolMinIdleTimerTask
>
> I propose these pools can be pulled out and moved to a proper package
>
> I wonder if anyone uses these?  I wonder also if it might be better to just
expose ensureMinIdle.

>  * SynchronizedObjectPool
>  * SynchronizedKeyedObjectPool
>  * SynchronizedPoolableObjectFactory
>  * SynchronizedKeyedPoolableObjectFactory
>
> These could be pulled out too, even if something suggests me that
> pools synchronization can be realized with just a Proxy, I'll do a
> little experiment to submit so you can evaluate.

Interested in ideas on this.  Here again, I am not sure how much use these
actually get.

> > What might make sense is to replace "impl" with "instance" (or "object")
> and
> > "reference" (or "ref").  So you have o.a.c.p, o.a.c.p.instance,
> > o.a.c.p.reference.
> >

> sounds much better than keeping the intermediate "impl", I agree :)
>
> Should I have to write all these notes on the wiki and open issues
> before proceeding?

I would say wait a bit to see if anyone has problems with above and if not,
go ahead and make the changes.

> Many thanks in advance, have a nice day!

Thank you!

Phil