Am 25.01.2011 21:01, schrieb Gary Gregory:
Hi All:

I just found a data set that I would like to integrate with [codec] to test the
language package:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/familynamephon/

The test data file contains 837K German names (37MB) in a text file and
encodings in Cham (?) phonetics, Cologne phonetics, Metaphone, and Soundex.

I have no idea how long it would take to run a test for our language encoders
on this but I imagine making it an optional unit test. How do you do THAT in
Maven?

The data is covered (I think, I do not read German) by this license:
http://www.opendatacommons.org/licenses/odbl/1.0/

Being a native German speaker I can confirm that the license is actually the Open Database License which can be found at the URL you provided.

Cham phonetics seems to be a special algorithm for encoding names. [1] contains more background information about it (unfortunately also in German). According to this page the name stems from a region in Bavaria. You can find a PHP implementation of this algorithm in [2].

HTH
Oliver

[1] http://www.genealogie-konzepte.net/chamer-phonetik
[2] http://www.genealogie-konzepte.net/chamer-phonetik/implementierung

Thoughts?
Gary Gregory
Senior Software Engineer
Rocket Software
3340 Peachtree Road, Suite 820 * Atlanta, GA 30326 * USA
Tel: +1.404.760.1560
Email: ggreg...@seagullsoftware.com<mailto:ggreg...@seagullsoftware.com>
Web: seagull.rocketsoftware.com<http://www.seagull.rocketsoftware.com/>