Am 17.02.2011 02:10, schrieb Ralph Goers:
Thanks. But I have a larger issue.

We have been doing performance testing and the synchronization in
AbstractFileConfiguration,  DynamicCombinedConfiguration,  and
MultiFileHierarchicalConfiguration are showing up as predominant hot spots.
These would be easy to fix if I could use java.util.concurrent but, of course,
that would require an upgrade to Java 5. The experimental branch has a minimum
version of Java 5 but it is nowhere near ready for a release.  I'm wondering
when the right time to upgrade would be?  1.8?

Ralph

This is really a good question. AFAIK other Commons components switched to Java 1.5 only in a major release, but given the current situation with end of support for older JDKs, it may be worth starting a new discussion.

OTOH I would not have a major problem with switching to Java 1.5, doing some slight API improvements by introducing generics etc., and calling this version 2.0. (Maybe we have then again a discussion whether package names must be changed.)

I am not very happy with the experimental branch, too. If time permits, I would like to start something new in the sandbox from scratch to overcome some of the problems in our current design (e.g. the tight coupling of the reloading mechanism which causes these synchronization problems).

Oliver