On Mar 1, 2011, at 10:22 AM, sebb wrote:

> On 1 March 2011 15:55, Simone Tripodi <simonetrip...@apache.org> wrote:
>> Hi Seb!
>> thanks a lot for your hints too, very appreciated!
>>
>> Something suggests me to remove the @SuppressWarnings because
>> ClassCastException are admitted, let's suppose I have the given XML:
>>
>> <a>
>>    <prop>text</prop>
>> </a>
>>
>> that can be mapped to
>>
>> class A {
>>    String prop;
>> }
>>
>> if a user tries to map to a different type

>> An exception has to be thrown.
>
> It will be thrown with the generic fix, because the compiler adds a
> cast to the parse return.
>
> However, there is no obvious casting in the above code, so the user
> may be puzzled by the ClassCastException.
>
>> What's the best way to handle that situation?
>
> I think the problem is that parse is not really a generic method, and
> Java does not make the target class available to the method.
> If you changed the API to add a Class parameter then you could do the
> check in the parse method.
> But that might be just as awkward to use.
>
> It is obviously nicer to read if the compiler inserts the casts
> automatically, but the downside is that CCEs can occur when you least
> expect them.
>
> In the sample code, it will happen immediately, but the instance could
> be stored in a collection and then the CCE might not occur until much
> later.

This particular "trick" really only applies to such Object foo(...) methods
where there are two options for non-generic versions of the code:

1.  Client calls Object foo = foo(...); if (foo instanceof Foo)...
2.  Client calls Foo foo = (Foo) foo(...); potential CCE

My position is that the generic parameter RT casting trick has no effect other
than to remove the cast from option 2 above.  If a CCE were going to be raised,
it would be raised regardless.  The option 1 idiom is still perfectly valid.

Matt