Hi Seb,
since we're discussing about it, I think it could be a good idea
distributing an artifact containing the assembly descriptors to
generate required binary packages for downloads, as described on[1],
and declare the assembly plugin directly in the commons-parent.
Components that need extra descriptors, can override on their pom the
assembly-plugin behavior.
WDYT?
Simo

[1]