On 4/27/11 6:29 AM, Jörg Schaible wrote:
> sebb wrote:
>
>> All Commons components other than DBCP have at most one current
>> version per major release (e.g. NET has 1.4.1 and 2.2).
>>
>> DBCP uses a different versioning scheme from all other components:
>>
>> DBCP 1.4 for JDBC 4 (JDK 1.6)
>> DBCP 1.3 for JDBC 3 (JDK 1.4-1.5)
>>
>> This is rather confusing.
>>
>> Seems to me it would be better to move to a naming scheme that did not
>> rely on the minor version number to distinguish JDBC versions.
>>
>> Instead of
>>
>> commons-dbcp-1.3-bin.zip
>> commons-dbcp-1.4-bin.zip
>>
>> perhaps we should have
>>
>> commons-dbcp-2.0-jdbc3-bin.zip
>> commons-dbcp-2.0-jdbc4-bin.zip
>>
>> or
>>
>> commons-dbcp-jdbc3-2.0-bin.zip
>> commons-dbcp-jdbc4-2.0-bin.zip
>>
>> [It does not help that the README.html file only describes the 1.4
>> release; I'll fix that]
> -0
>
> Peronally, I am perfectly fine with the current naming scheme. The releases
> are upwards binary compatible and 1.3.x may phase out once we drop Java 5
> support for DBCP. Both naming schemes would prevent an easy update, since
> you can no longer manage dbcp by version ony, but wou'll have to adjust
> artifact or classifier everywhere.
Agreed.  This was discussed at length a year or so ago when we
decided that we had to split the JDBC 3 and 4 versions.  There is
*no difference* between 1.3 and 1.4 other than the JDBC 4 methods
not included in 1.3.  Jorg is right that we also agreed that as of
2.0, we would require JDK 1.6, which means only JDBC 4 - so there
will be no jdbc3-2.0 version.

Phil