Lets take a hypothetical example:

The Halley's Comet Observation API had lots of CVS commits in 1984-1987, every
other year there is a unanswered message to the mailing list. It is reasonable
to assume in 2060/2061 there will be updates to the code base again. This
project would otherwise be dormant for 70+ years in between.

Now in 2011 a young student, named Bob, is getting a PhD in astrophysics, and
Halley's Comet is the subject of the dissertation. Bob notices that there are
some nuances on things and files some issues in JIRA. Is it still dormant? Yes.

It is a year later and Bob has started doing his research, and has written some
code / patches for the API. He submits them to JIRA as patches. I would argue
that the project is no longer dormant. It Is being supported.

Revival is not something you vote about, it is something you observe.

Mailing list activity,
Commits,
Patches / resolved issues.

I think what is trying to be addressed here is a way of officially stamping
something as "NO LONGER SUPPORTED", and the revival clause seems to be a way to
prevent the responsibility of support back upon it.

I do not look at dormant as having a support or obsolescence correlation to it.
You have the attic for items to be forgotten.

So I say: "A component can be revived by any committer by observing support
and/or development activity or by a VOTE of lazy consensus"

- Jason Pyeron                      PD Inc. http://www.pdinc.us -
- Principal Consultant              10 West 24th Street #100    -
- +1 (443) 269-1555 x333            Baltimore, Maryland 21218   -