I am not saying don't use javadocs. It's all about using javadocs effectively.

Forcing javadocs on all methods leads to bloat and noise. Better
present stellar javadocs on public APIs and document how the library
works. Having great examples helps a great deal ...but don't (please
don't!) use Eclipse to auto-complete javadocs or have useless javadocs
on setters/getters. Instead think when you write.

How much is obvious from the method signature already? What is not?
Not sure there is a checkstyle rule for that.

Maybe I am working too much in other languages to appreciate the "less
is more" way of coding.
Self descriptive code is less a myth but more a state of mind when
writing that code and documentation.

Anyway ...I'll shut up now :)