Hi Lasse!
I'd personally like if you could fill an Issue on Jira and submit your
XZ implementation as a patch that naturally fits in the
org.apache.commons.compress package and you continue contributing on
maintaining it - maybe depending on an external package would be more
difficult since commons components generally are self contained and
don't depend from any part library - unless are commons components
themselves.

Keep what I said strictly as a personal suggestion, I'm not involved
in [compress] development so I let maintainers taking decisions.

Have a nice day, all the best!
Simo

http://www.99soft.org/