On 2011-08-17, Honton, Charles wrote:

> Why guard against closing System.in?  If the client application needs that
> sort of functionality, it should wrap the incoming stream in a proxy that
> doesn't delegate the close method to the underlying stream.

You and I agree here - there even has been a thread about this not too
long ago.  Changing it would break backwards compatibility, though,
something we are willing to do in a 2.x release not too far away in the
future (I hope).  For 1.x we prefer to keep it as it is.

> (A new class for commons-io?)

I'm pretty sure that already exists.  CloseShieldInputStream IIRC.

Stefan